[vorbis] questions about artifacts in low bitrate streams

Nicholas Sherman nsherman at Bluestreak.com
Mon Apr 23 14:25:09 PDT 2001

Hello-
 I recently downloaded Verbs and started playing with the encoder.  The
quality was great when I encoded a few samples at medium and high bitrates,
but when trying to encode the same clips at 16 kbps, artifacts are audible
during playback- short bursts of screeching noise, not just distortion.  I'm
using oggenc 1.0 beta 4 to encode, sonique to play back on Windows NT.  I've
also tested playback with the same files on a Mac (OS 9, using MacAmp), and
similar artifacts appear.  I don't think there is any clipping in the audio
stream.  The audio input format that I used was a 16 bit, 16 kHz wav file,
recorded by Goldwave from a playing CD.

the questions:

- Is this a known issue with the beta in low bitrate encoding?

-If a known issue, is it on target to be fixed in a future beta or the 1.0
final release?

thanks very much,

Nick