[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Mon Apr 16 01:05:06 PDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Adam Ottley wrote:
> >
> > On April 13, 2001 12:36 pm, you wrote:
> > > Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe it's because I was just looking at the task manager,
> > > but still, Winamp mp3 oscilates between 0% and 2% while
> > > Winamp ogg is at 5%-6%.
> > >
> > I've been getting some wild differences here.  I've found Wintop to be the
> > best gauge of CPU use in Win9x (Wintop is in the kerneltoys package, just do
> > a search on microsoft.com for it), and I get a much smaller difference
> > between the Winamp 2.22 Mp3 decoder and Ogg beta 4 in Winamp.  On my P2-400,
> > Mp3 runs about 6-7% where Ogg is about 8%.  I also tried it on a vanilla
>
> This is too _small_ a difference to be realistic.
>
> > P200, and Mp3 took ~20-22% where Ogg was ~24-25%.  Both were in Win98.
>
> These numbers are _way_ too high for a 200 MHz cpu, even if it is a P5.

This were my numbers for a P200 Ogg too.  MP3 was slightly faster than
this, I don't remember exactly now.
I did look at the decode thread only, and had similar results with the
wave writer output plugin (which plays max possible speed).

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s