[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Apr 12 23:50:32 PDT 2001

Jack,
In terms of "converting" people, schools are good grounds for such
technology exposures. While schools cannot really pour money into these
projects, they are good early adopters. We have a significantly large
napster user base here...there was even some talk for setting up an
unofficial "napster" lab and give it a big fiber connection so that
folks can go there for their "high bandwidth" needs and not choke up the
other student labs.

Our school has not "blocked" napster access, and I see several students
looking for their favorite music all the time. The topic of online music
also serves as a good technological topic for class discussions (I teach
computer networks in the business school).

I had sent you an email earlier at the icecast address to see if you
folks would be interested in doing a lecture for one of our classes at
San Francisco State University (I believe you folks are SF based?). It
perhaps got lost...

Let me know if you or others at xiph.org would be interested in doing a
lecture this semester.

Sameer