[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu Apr 12 13:57:30 PDT 2001

> Replacing mp3 won't be so easy. Microsoft and Real are spending
> money on promoting their formats, Vorbis isn't.

You're wrong.  We are.

We're not placing ads in magazine, but I do fly around to shows a lot
and scream the word from on high.  I was on TV yesterday.

We've gotten a lot more serious articles than most of hte other formats.

RealNetworks is for the most part cooperating with us.

Apple was interested.

The game industry is started to adopt it.

The sound production software industry is adopting it.

We're making quite a bit of progress.

I spend basically all the money I have (not to mention a fair amount of
mine and other's time) trying to make sure that Vorbis is successful as
everyone dreams it can be.

If you'd like us to do more, or spend more, you can mail donations to
the Xiph.org Foundation to:

Jack Moffitt
Xiph.org Foundation
315A 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

and put your comments here.  Help us promote Vorbis too.  Convert your
friends.  When you go to shows, talk about Vorbis.

We can't compete with Microsoft financially.  We can compete in pretty
much every other arena.  Look at how much money they've spent on Windows
Media, and people only use it kicking and screaming.  We are converting
a lot of people with our efforts.

jack.