[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Paul C. Bryan pbryan at creatia.com
Thu Apr 12 12:01:05 PDT 2001

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> If this isn't the most explicit example of abuse of it's near-monopoly
> position as OS-provider to 'help' their own application-software; I don't
> know what is.

It may not be nice, but it's ethical in my opinion. They're preventing their
built-in software from having certain capabilities, namely encoding MP3s at
a high bitrate. Incidentally, according to numerous sources, a single
registry setting can be changed to defeat this, but that's beside the point.

IMHO, this only helps Windows Media competitors, such as Vorbis. If
Microsoft pushes this too hard, it will leave a bad taste in their users'
collective mouths, opening their minds to more open, less restrictive
technologies.

People have a choice about what software they will use. If they choose
Microsoft software, they will have to accept the conditions that accompany
it. The value proposition of Windows to many clearly exceeds the
restrictions they must accept.

Instead of complaining about Microsoft, Fraunhofer, et al's practices, I
think the most constructive thing we can do is focus our energy on creating
open and competitive alternatives.

Paul C. Bryan
pbryan at creatia.com