[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

fungus spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com
Thu Apr 12 11:57:43 PDT 2001

dongoodman wrote:

> if ya' haven't seen it already, check out:
> http://www.canoe.ca/MoneyWSJ/wsj2-dow.html
>
> sad, sad, sad. on many fronts. I don't begin to understand how this might
> work; I suppose the MP3 degradation only applies to MS encoding software...
> *shrug*

Keep reading. Further down it says:

"Under Microsoft's new restrictions -- which prevent its built-in
software from recording MP3 files at fidelity rates higher than 56
kilobits per second -- MP3 music "sounds like somebody in a
phone booth underwater," says P.J. McNealy

The new restrictions in Windows XP won't prevent other
vendors' software applications from recording MP3 music
at a higher fidelity"

Ok, I get it so far...

"but early testers of beta versions of Windows XP
already complain that the most popular MP3 recording
applications -- which compete with Microsoft's format
-- don't seem to function properly, apparently because
of changes Microsoft made to how data are written on
CD-ROMs under Windows XP.

...but now they've lost me.

> this may, however, provide a good leveraging point for Vorbis.

Replacing mp3 won't be so easy. Microsoft and Real are spending
money on promoting their formats, Vorbis isn't.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \