OT: long - Replacing CD's? was RE: [vorbis] New type of copy-prot ected audio CDs are coming...

Mat Bettinson mat at eurogamer.net
Mon Apr 9 05:24:33 PDT 2001

Heya fungus,

f> Who's talking about the Creative jukebox?

Err, well you I would have thought. It was to my knowledge the only
commercially available portable HD powered unit.

f> I saw a new player yesterday which was about the same
f> size as a normal walkman, 6Gb capacity and labelled with
f> a big "high shock resistance" sticker.

Cool. Which was called what, exactly?

f> 6Gb is a lot of storage. Being able to carry over
f> a hundred CDs around with you makes this player
f> very "small" indeed. Minidisk players aren't so
f> small when you add in the size of a couple of
f> spare disks.

No disagreement fro me. For now, though, I think the units that play
off CD are a good compromise. You can burn those disks damn quickly
yourself and the players are nice and cheap.

f> Recording to minidisks is still a pain as well,
f> they work like an analogue tape recorder - press
f> record then play your musinc into them. MP3 players
f> can be 100% controlled by your computer desktop and
f> have track info, playlists, etc.

Quite, no disagreement here. I had a nice digital link from my PC
sound card to a minidisc but recording still had to be done in real
time.

--
Mat Bettinson - EuroGamer's Gaming Evangelist with a Goatee
http://www.eurogamer.net | http://www.eurogamer-network.com