[vorbis] Digital Ear evaluation of Vorbis beta 4

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Apr 7 14:22:43 PDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:38:51PM -0700, ff123 wrote:
> For those who haven't yet seen this:
>
> EarGuy's Digital Ear (physiological model of the ear based on work by Frank
> Baumgarte) has just finished rating the sound quality of Vorbis beta 4 at
> 128 kbs using 30 random 10-second selections of music:
>
> http://pub41.ezboard.com/fr3mixfrm4.showMessage?topicID=33.topic

Thanks for pointing the list to this.  Aside from the graph making
things look bad, it seems like Ogg actually did pretty well in this
test...  And it points out again what we already know; quality is very
good overall and we still have some consistency issues to deal with.

> Two samples on which the Ear says Vorbis performed uncharacteristically
> poorly are on my iDrive at:
>
> https://www.idrive.com/miyaguch/files/Shared/?curr-node=8821135668693434409
>
> as s27VorbisTest.wav and s37VorbisTest.wav.

Thanks.  I'm stuck on a modem connection until the end of this coming
week so I'll not be able to grab them until the 14th or 15th.

Monty