OT: long - Replacing CD's? was RE: [vorbis] New type of copy-prot ected audio CDs are coming...

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 5 21:27:13 PDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > Minidisc hasn't caught due to the pricing issue.  There isn't enough market share to supplant CD's.
>
> I think minidisc is popular with musicians or other people who need to
> record things often.

Yes.  I have a minidisc recorder which set me back $700 Australian
(currently around $350 US).  Granted it's portable but it's still a lot.
I got it due to my involvement in radio.  The only people I know who have
them generally either got them for radio use or as a musician who wants to
record gigs, etc.  That is to say, they got them for recording, not as a CD
replacement.  I speculate that these same people would probably have gotten
DAT except that minidisc provides a more convenient and cheaper solution at
acceptable audio quality (well until someone is brave enough to make a
vorbis recorder).  As for comparing it to CD, you can get play only units
but I'd speculate they aren't big, at least in western countries.  I'd be
interested to know how much music gets sold on minidisc (i.e. how many sell
as opposed to how much is available).

Geoff.