[vorbis] Streaming

Sean Wieland windwalker at peacefire.org
Wed Sep 20 12:55:29 PDT 2000

Tim Hurman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been browins through the archives for a bit now, however I cannot
> seem to find any direct answer to a question I have. What streaming tools
> are/will be available for ogg vorbis?
>
> I found this quote on vorbis.com:
> "What about streaming in Ogg Vorbis format?
>
> Streaming is an important component of Vorbis. The format has
> been designed from the ground-up to be easily streamable. The
> designers of Vorbis are working alongside the creators of Icecast
> streaming media software to make Icecast Vorbis-compatible. We
> are also working on player support for streaming Ogg files.
> Streaming Ogg files from the web will be supported by the player
> plugins at the 1.0 Vorbis release."
>
> However I have been unable to find any trace of this. Apart from Icecast,
> are there any other streaming servers available/being developed for ogg?
>
> Hope someone has more info than me,
> Thanks
>
> Tim.

Really, there's no reason to use another streaming server other than
IceCast.  IceCast has been really well designed, and thus is very
flexible.  My question though, is it just a matter of someone writing a
source program (ala ices for MP3s), or are there more fundamental issues
from the server side holding Vorbis streaming back?  Also, what are the
plans/timeline for updating the decoder plugins (for WinAMP, Sonique,
XMMS, etc.) to support streaming?  And has there been a determination
for MIME type and pointer file (ala M3Us for MP3s) for Vorbis?  (OVU for
Ogg Vorbis URL maybe?)

-Sean

--
 +-----=[export-a-crypto-system-sig RSA-3-lines-PERL]=-----+
 |#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj|