[vorbis] Video codec

Jelle Foks jelle-foks at list.dedris.nl
Wed Sep 13 03:00:58 PDT 2000

Monty wrote:

> > Raul wrote:
> > > SIF (320x240 resolution)
> > > - 512 Kbps including 96 Kbps audio
> > > - 384 Kbps including 64 Kbps audio
> > > - 256 Kbps including 56 Kbps audio
> >
> > I think the video & audio bitrates should be optionally independant.  There
> > will be instances where someone wants high quality audio and is not so
> > bothered with the video quality and vice versa.
>
> There's very little reason in modern codec engineering to hardcode specific
> bitrates into a spec.  It doesn't really keep with the Ogg philosophy.
> Vorbis, for example, has no concept of official bitrates and the encoder has a
> free hand in chhosing how many bits to use per 'frame'.

I don't think it was really meant to be part of a spec, but more an
indication 'if Ogg Video can produce streams similar to this, then I can
use Ogg Video for my application'. I think it can be a way to help
developers evaluate if the codec is good enough yet for certain
applications. That list tells us, if you can get 320x240 resolution
video in the range of low (256-56) 200 kbit to high (512-96) 416 kbit,
then you're satisfying some internet applications.

Jelle.