[vorbis] Video codec

tom barger tomsong at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 18:24:17 PDT 2000

In film-post-production, years of procedure behind this odd problem of 30 fr
versus 29.97, but the average human eye can instanlty detect a 3 frame
out-of-sync lip flap. And most of our sound editors can spot TWO FRAMES a
mile away. The human eye much muore instantaneous than ear. We never skimp on
this, we will be busted flat and fired from our jobs if trying to do sloppy
sync work.

However, I just watched QuickTime channel broadcast of BBC, and on the
interenet, the idea is that the audience will acept any incredible terrible
quality of what looks to me like 3 frames a second streaming. Just rememeber
that audio proceeds in realtime always, there is no frame-rate per se, and we
have output buttons in our editing programs that say (:PLAY EVERY
FRAME")---meaning,if this button is checked, there is no audio. Audio must
play in realtime, and video frames are dropped to accommodate. Maybe you
could say that audio is the master track and video the slave. (That's a funny
old concept from my years of timecode thinking, I'll have to work on that and
recondition my thinking about ideas of linearity!!) But you see, we are
fighting dinosaurs here in Hollywood broadcast, they have every reason to
prtect old-school means of distribution, anmd in fact are completely
out-of-touch with the idea that a new generation whas been raised on video
games, and insists on user control. Zap the commercials, indeed.

I will chime in with a wish list, and hope you all see my ideas from being an
editor and user-based workhorse. I'll start with audio, this is where the
growth is exploding on internet.