[vorbis] Video codec

Jelle Foks jelle-foks at list.dedris.nl
Tue Sep 12 02:54:12 PDT 2000

Ralph Giles wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Chrissy and Raul wrote:
>
> > >Totally agreed. Let's start making list and try to agree upon it?
>
> I assume these are for purposes of comparison and guidelines for common
> source types, rather than requirements.

I'd suggest as guidelines to verify if we have a codec yet that
satisfies some type of users yet.

> I was hoping we also "already
> agree" to allow arb. frame size and rate.

I agree that would be wise, considering the 'alternatives' do so too,
MPEG2/4, H.263v2. The only place where limits come into view is
application. So there are MPEG2 video's that don't display well on TV
screens because of their parameters. It's up to the applications to
choose wise values I think.

> One of my pet peeves with the
> DVD spec is the way they include the letterbox mask in the frame they
> compress, just to keep things within the spec'd size and aspect ratio.

Could you please explain what you mean by this. I don't know exactly
what you mean here.

I do believe it would be smart to have some method to allow some
parameter variation across the screen. MPEG4 does it with objects, and I
believe H.263 allows abritrary shapes to define the screen region where
to decompress the video, plus allows occasional variations in resolution
and frame rate.  These features allow encoders, to very efficiently
encode the 'talking head in front of overhead sheet' for example, where
the sheets have maximum sharpness and low update frequency, and the
talking head is overlayed (bluescreened) on top of that with a higher
frame rate but less sharpness. I'm thinking of traning video's for
example.