[vorbis] requested new features ?

Matt and Karin Lawson lawson at qns.com
Sat Sep 30 07:07:08 PDT 2000

The website is:
     http://www.mp3licensing.com

Basically the deal is that you can stream mp3s for free until the end of the
year but after that, they start charging a royalty with a MINIMUM annual
payment of $15,000.  If you also want to sell downloads, it's 1% of your
sales with another annual minimum fee of $15,000.

Now remember these fees are only for the use of the mp3 technology
itself, it doesn't include the myriad of royalties that are due to the various
record companies, publishers, performing rights organizations, etc..

Realize that this also means that if you want to sell and stream YOUR
OWN MUSIC that you personally wrote, performed, and recorded
in your house, that adds up to $30,000 per year.  You see how
absurd this is?