[vorbis] Video codec

tom barger tomsong at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 18:12:08 PDT 2000

I'll be joining in with Hollywood perspective. My current project for Eric
Eisner, reality-looking animation----I can't see any reason not to frame-render
in SQUARE format, except that Thomas Edison decided in 1918 to create film frames
at landscape 4:3 aspect----it's obvious that portrait framing is superior for
depicting the human figure. However, Sorenson warns us strongly--- in compression
the roiginal content, that we must work at resolutions at multiples of 4 for
QuickTime VBR reasons. I haven't challenged that yet in real-world upload.

Okay, you might argue that we must conform to all the video cameras out there,
but I will answer that the future of interactive television will be SQUARE and in
our history of editing and shooting for television, we go through all kinds of
ludicrous extremes to frame out the sides. Could we start over?

I'll be getting back to you all and joining in, I'm not a techno guy, but a
realtime user of Flash, Avid, Flame, Mp3, Beatnik, Java calls, SMIL. The editors
and composite artists choose the tools at hand, and mix them up, but I have to
say at  this point, years and years of QuckTime development have given us 8000
pages of protocol for alpha channels, sprites, sound plugins, multiple streams
and direct SMIL media calls----I don't know why we are  reiniventing the wheel. I
will also say at this point that EVERY PERSON in Hollywood, runs on Mac---as
sound editors, musicians, mixers, graphic artists, film editors, but not
necessarily 3D modeling and sfx people----. Then we bring entertainment content
into meetings with set-top people like Tivo, Replay, DirectTV, WebTV, we are told
in no uncertain terms that Microsoft owns the business. The bad quality of the
audio and video in RealNetworks and MS Media Player is obvious to the eye and
ear.