[vorbis] Video codec

Jelle Foks jelle-foks at list.dedris.nl
Tue Sep 12 02:40:04 PDT 2000

Tom Bishop wrote:

> Thanx for the description.. ;-)
>
> Would say blocking noise..
>
> It is as if there is not enough info to fill in the details,
> so it just paints the block all one color...

One color. If that happens in places where the image really contains
more variation that that, then that's a sign of a pretty 'desparate'
encoder. In that case the encoder decides to discards all higher DCT
component alltogether and encode only the DC coefficient. That would be
a bit rate really too low for the encoder to handle.