[vorbis] Video codec

Chrissy and Raul chrissyandraul at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 11 16:58:08 PDT 2000

MPEG-2, at moderate (20:1 [10 Mbps, CBR, 4:2:0] ) to high compression ratios
(40:1 [5 Mbps, CBR, 4:2:0] ), creates several kinds of artifacts.  The most
noticeable ones are three:

1) Blocking noise (blocks that are 8 or 16 pixels square)
2) "Mosquito" noise (irregular dots around sharp edges, like letters or
numbers)
2) Low-level DCT noise, crawling dots on flat surfaces

The first is of spatial nature, still/individual images have it.  The second
is spatial and temporal (still and moving images have it).  The third can
only be detected with moving images as flat surfaces move.

Only with Hockey or Basketball you get blocking noise at 10 Mbps, and only
sometimes.  The three are visible at 5 Mbps.  This is assuming good IBP
coding.

Color changes and blurring (unless very obvious) are harder to detect
without side-by-side comparisons.

RAUL LOPEZ