[vorbis] Video codec

Chrissy and Raul chrissyandraul at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 11 16:47:44 PDT 2000

>From: Jelle Foks <jelle-foks at list.dedris.nl>
>
>Chrissy and Raul wrote:
>
>(ok, I cut a lot of your mail, but I don't think it's too much out of
>context now).
>
> > One very important step in the video codec definition is what
>resolution,
> > frame rate and bitrates are acceptable/practical.
>
>Totally agreed. Let's start making list and try to agree upon it?

I propose for Ogg internet media:

Frame Rates:

- 15 fps (half 30 fps)
- 24 fps (Film native rate.  I heard that in Europe 24 fps movie DVDs are
presented at 25fps which make them end sooner, good, more time for the
family, is this true?)
- 30 fps

Bitrates (based on actual experiments with video compression):

SIF (320x240 resolution)
- 512 Kbps including 96 Kbps audio
- 384 Kbps including 64 Kbps audio
- 256 Kbps including 56 Kbps audio

QSIF (160x120 resolution)
TBA Some numbers available next week.

I am using three scenes for the video compression experiments: hockey,
mongolian rock concert, mongolian flag and plaza.

> > For now, I have not seen evidence of 128 Kbps media delivery at SIF
> > resolution and I think QSIF (160x120) resolution is only good for video
> > phones or media including one single talking head.
>
>Just a stir in the pot: How about moving parts of web sites competition
>to macromedia flash?

Uh?

RAUL LOPEZ