[vorbis] Video codec

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Fri Sep 8 03:20:41 PDT 2000

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Marcel Meyer wrote:

> > Don't add audio ? We already have Vorbis.
> > Make video another Ogg stream and let audio come
> > from Vorbis stream or wherever...

This is the plan, of course.

> > Subtitles can also be a stream.
>
> I think that using vorbis is the best solution. I could also imagine, that
> one can use the different channels of vorbis to stream complete different
> audio (for example an interview on 1 channel with the origianal voice and on
> another with translation). That would be a really fantastic feature. How
> about? Is it possible?

It's definitely possible. The Ogg bitstream format provides framing and
sync in addition to what's embedded in the packets themselves. You might
want to check the list archives; all this has be discussed before.

The general picture I've been pushing is: Vorbis for audio, and possibly
Squish or uncompressed as an option as well. MNG and tarkin (the lossy
video codec-to-be) as video formats, and mng for annotative overlays like
DVD-style subtitles. XML substreams for closed captioning, real subtitles,
metadata, etc. And of course we can have alternate tracks for commentary
or translations.

My aim is to properly reimplement all the features of DVD, except
for the non-linear and interactive bits. I've not seen a clear way to
implemen this last within a multimedia framework, and so leave it to the
next layer up.

Hope that helps,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca