[vorbis] Vorbis licensing...

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu Oct 26 19:38:27 PDT 2000

> These statements do not seem consistent with
> each other to me. The first seems to say that you
> must used vorbis libraries as statically linked
> libraries. The second says that you can link against
> the static or dynamic libraries.

One was a subset of the other.

There's a module that has vorbis code in it.  Let's assume you're using
libogg, libvorbis, and libvorbisfile.

You can link these either statically or dynamically in your
commercial/closed source application.

If you make modifications to the modules (libogg, libvorbis,
libvorbisfiles) you offer users access to the source code.

Additionally if you link statically, you must offer users the .o files
or whatever so that said user can relink with a new version of the
library code.

I just hastily assumed you would take the easy approach and link
dynamically with a .DLL.  Therefor you're only required to make
available the source of said DLL.

Is that more clear?

jack.