[vorbis] Vorbis licensing...

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Oct 26 17:20:57 PDT 2000

> please dont tell me this .. you're saying im releasing a dll (fmod.dll from
> www.fmod.org) which i am NOT going to make opensource (it has sensitive
> proprietary stuff in it which i dont want available to competitors), and i
> cant link vorbis into it?  I cant believe this would be true ... if it is i
> will have to drop vorbis support immediately and i am about to offer you
> 10,000 potential customers!
> (im not modifying the code btw, and if i optimized parts of it in asm etc, i
> was planning to submit the code back to vorbis)

Actually, the LGPL addresses *that* directly.  Yes, you can, but they
may add a few requirements that may prove annoying.  That part of the
LGPL is... hard to read.

Also, don't fret too much.  There's 'what the LGPL says' and 'what we,
the Vorbis team consider kosher.'  We, the Vorbis team, consider what
you want to do to be kosher.  If the LGPL prevents you from doing what
we think you should be able to do, we will remedy the situation by
dumping the LGPL if absolutely necessecary.

Monty