[vorbis] mp3 inventors were awarded with "German Future Price"

Robert Voigt robert.voigt at gmx.de
Fri Oct 20 12:04:39 PDT 2000

I found that article:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/jk-20.10.00-000/

and here's the official homepage of the price:
http://www.deutscher-zukunftspreis.de/dzp00_02/dzp00_02.html

It's all in German, so I give a summary here:

"The price of the German President for Technics and Innovation has been
arwarded to the inventors of mp3, namely 3 people from Fraunhoffer's:
Prof-Dr. Prof. Karlheinz Brandenburg, Dipl.-Ing. Bernhard Grill and
Dipl.-Ing. Harald Popp."

Another Fraunhoffer guy says: "We have always asked ourselves if we can
win the race against the rest of the world. But we worked hard and we
were always a bit better than our competitors. At an ISO-MPEG conference
in Japan an American colleague blamed us to be too soft to our
competitors. He said : 'good guys never win'. Today I know he wasn't
right.

"The German Future Price is awarded each year and entails DM 500,000
(roughly $ 250,000)."