[vorbis] Fraunhoffer claims patents on other formats

ben handley ben.handley at softhome.net
Mon Oct 2 00:43:18 PDT 2000

There was an article on byte in march (linked to from /.) about patent
law. One of the things it mentioned was a Statutory patent, which merely
prevents anyone else from patenting it, but doesn't allow the filer to
prevent others from using it. And its a lot cheaper than a normal one,
apparently. The article is at:
http://www.byte.com/column/BYT20000301S0001

Might be worth looking into.