[vorbis] Vorbis licensing...

Tom Bishop Tom at Truly.nu
Thu Oct 26 17:18:42 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Moffitt" <jack at icecast.org>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] Vorbis licensing...

> > thanks michael that cleared things up :)
> > out of interest, what if i modify the source but its useless and noone
wants
> > it? :)
>
> You have to make it available, but we may choose not to include it in
> the main distirbution :)
>
> I believe the license puts a limitation of 3 years on the availability.
>
> Although who's counting :)
>
> jack.

Right, and even if someone is counting..  I doubt that there are very
many cases where violation of GNU licenses would be prosecutable
in the real world.

At this time, I do not believe there are "criminal" issues here.. it is
strictly
"civil"...  (which requires someone to sue, and that requires HUGE
sums of money in cases such as this since they are so technical, and
convoluted.)

This list has discussed the defensibility of MP3's licensing.. I wonder if
GNU Licensing has been tested in court..

It may be that aspects of the GNU license are not enforcible in various
countries, or localities.. (or anywhere..)

GNU requires that you do this and that.. but what if you don't...

Fact is, I would think that this stuff would be insanely difficult to
enforce,
monitor etc... and not at all a given that it is enforcable at all..

(but I speculate.... ;-)

..anybody know?