[vorbis] Vorbis licensing...

Pedriana, Paul PPedriana at maxis.com
Thu Oct 26 14:36:28 PDT 2000

We spent a little time here taking a look at
the Vorbis licensing scheme and ran into some
possible issues. In particular, the Vorbis
FAQ page here says that the LGPL license applies
to Vorbis libraries and GPL applies to source
code (at least that's what I gather).

        http://www.vorbis.com/faq.html#flic
        http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/lesser.html

Reading the text of these Gnu licenses implies
that we cannot compile the source code into our
executable. It implies that we can distribute
a DLL with Vorbis in it and that if we have a
modified version of that DLL, we need to provide
source code for it.

Is this correct? More in particular, exactly how
can or can't we use Vorbis in a commercial application.
This specific question is not directly answered in
any way in the FAQ, yet it is exactly the question
we want to know the answer to.

Paul