[vorbis] FREE at last

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sun Oct 8 19:39:29 PDT 2000

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 11:05:38AM -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:
>
> > > Now a question about VORBIS
> > > I wonder when the next release of VORBIS is sheduled for?
> > > Are there gonna be some more options to choose from (like LAME)?
> > > Joint stereo perhaps?
> >
> > Yes, I would like to know that too.
> > Monty, can you supply us with some answers?
>
> Last I spoke with monty, the features on the todo list for vorbis 1.0
> are generally:
>
> Channel Coupling. Meaning joint stereo and hopefully also (joint)
> 	ambisonic surround.
>
> Cascading support. This is the promised 'bitrate peeling' feature for
> 	trivial transcoding to lower bitrates.
>
> Lower-bitrate Modes. Combines with the above.
>
> I don't know that there's any firm schedule for this, beyond the
> aforementioned new year deadline from mp3 licensing. The above will
> probably take at least a two months together though, so I don't expect 1.0
> before December at the earliest. Unless they punt. :)
>
> Makes sense to release another couple of betas in the meantime though. We
> could actually do a beta3 real soon with just the bug fixes and code
> re-org from the postbeta2 branch, but I'd wait until one of the above
> features is added.
>
> <plug>
> It would also be nice if we could get stream-description metadata in there
> as well, if only to make it a less traumatic upgrade when tarkin happens.

Tarkin? Where is that anyway?

I've found some video codec stuff myself, and am seriously considering
porting them over to the Ogg framework to ease playing around. Having
not yet delved into code, I wonder about frame-sync issues -- how can
I get a frame of video to match up with a position in the audio stream?
Forgive me for asking if this is blatantly simple.

> For my part, I'm just not sure Robert and I will have anything stable by
> then. Some help with it would be greatly appreciated! :) We seem to
> generally have consensus on the metadata elements, but not on how to
> encode them, and I don't have a good handle on what we need to support in
> the stream-description part.
>
> If we do it the way I want to, we need mng and xml substream support at
> least, to span the required feature set, as it were. See my todo list at
> http://snow.ashlu.bc.ca/ogg/todo.html for details.
> </plug>
>
> Hope that helps,
>  -ralph
>
> --
> giles at ashlu.bc.ca
> *crackle* The Director is a Humpback whale. Hold all calls. *crackle*

Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
Slashdot and K5: kcarnold
Proudly registered Linux user #180115! See http://counter.li.org/