[vorbis] Adding a title and author to a file that doesn't have one

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Nov 26 11:38:51 PST 2000

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:38:43 +0100 (MET) Zeljko Blace <zblace at alu.hr> wrote:

> Is there a way to include xml(as structured description of content
> within file) within file?
> And what about the documentation on this subject (is it to early / or
> have the standards already been setup but not working in this version)?

That's pretty much it. XML has definitely been discussed, but there are
no standards and no code. I also think it makes a lot of sense for all
the uses you describe; the counter arguments are that an XML parser is
a pretty big thing to add to the spec, and that deciding how to "packetize"
XML is complicated (and will always be a hack) but important for timecoded
"text stream" uses like subtitles.

You might try browsing the list archives (both vorbis and vorbis-dev),
particularly the threads on metadata to see what's been covered so far.
And we'd definitely welcome help with these topics.

> and now even more questions (or at least one that is big):
> Since Xiph has plans to vork on video equivalent for ogg, is there any
> chance that we could all standardize across platform on open source media
> content solution ? ... something like .pkg or .rpm that would include
> platform neutral

Ogg already does the package part: you can have multiple "logical"
bitstreams interleaved within. This part is all done. The vorbis stuff
just produces ogg files with only a single substream.

> - media content (audio=> ogg-vorbis, video=>DivX;, animations=>SVG or
> flash, 3D=>VRML?)

I've also suggested mng as a format for animation, overlays, and source
video. Is there a free svg rasterizer yet?

> - media description (xml file describing content)

Monty has said he doesn't want to use xml for this, but I think he's
wrong. =)

> - media score (smile-like constructed xml file that would enable players
> like quick time, real player and hopefully opensource player to display,
> play, content in linear/non-linear/streaming/interactive way).

This part is something we've done almost no research on; it's not clear
what a proper design would be like. Probably belongs outside the
ogg file for now.

You should also take a look at the "Open Video Disk" project at
linuxvideo.org. They're trying to produce something similar.

Hope that helps,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca