[vorbis] Beta3 impressions

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Mon Nov 20 10:53:19 PST 2000

Monty <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:

> > - Horn.wav still sounds very sucky, mode -b256 gives ~100kbps (this
> > is understandable because in this sample practically there are no sounds
> > above 5kHz) but the artifacts can be easily heard.
>
> Oops, I may have screwed up here.... not horn23_2.wav?  I may need to
> re-grab Horn.wav then. :-(

I've sent you Horn.wav about one or two months ago (on your request)?
If you need it, I will send it again.

> > The leader in eliminating pre-echo is AAC
> > (Liquid Audio, Low Profile AAC), because even at ~128kbps stereo
> > there is very little or no pre-echo (Temporal Noise Shaping works
> > very well obviously).
>
> ...and is totally unusable due to patent complications.

That's 100% right. :-) But I use it just for quality comparison...

> > In his interview to Slashdot, Monty said that wavelets will be used in
> > Vorbis (after version 1.0). I guess that wavelets will be able to
> > eradicate pre-echo more thoroughly ?
>
> Yes, wavelets are my attempt at solving the problem correctly.

What is your estimate, is it possible that the first wavelet-enabled
version appears sometime in the middle of 2001?

> > - There is also an improvement (from beta2) with gapless tracks, but
> > small clicks are still there (not often though). I guess the only 100%
> > solution is, like Monty said, to add a feature to the encoder so that
> > encoder knows that it should match the end of one file with the
> > begging of another one.
>
> Correct summary.

It would be good if this feature can be implemented in version 1.0

Greetings,
Aleksandar