[vorbis] Beta3 impressions

Darren Meyer linux at radiantmatrix.org
Wed Nov 29 19:26:05 PST 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:59:18AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Darren Meyer wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:18:40AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >

> > > If you _do_ encode it with separate frames, you'll have a continuity problem;
> > > it's difficult to have two different encoding methods give the same
> > > "color" or
> > > "room temperature" to the sound (anyone know a better word or description?)
> >
> > I think the term you're searching for is "ambient quality"
>
> Yeah, that one sounds good. Although it's not about quality... Maybe
> just plain "ambience" is best.

Actually, "ambience" is best used to describe sounds in the space in which
the wavelet is converted to audible format: for instance, the normal noise
in a room, which consists of your breathing, air currents created by
movement, and the hum of your PC :) are classed as "ambience".

In a discussion, you would say "using multiple encoding methods for seperate
frames in the same unit would produce frames of differing abient quality."
Remember that a quality is also a characteristic, not a measure of how well
something is constructed.

Cheers,
Darren