[vorbis] Vorbis over RTP

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 20 13:33:12 PST 2000

> IP fragment means that the whole UDP packet is dropped. If I apply
> forward error correction to the fragments I can easily get the 10%
> packet loss down to < 1%. (I just tested with 10% packet loss, I
> actually takes about 5s until the music starts playing, so I made a good
> guess :)

??  You get the packet or you don't.  For the most part, fragments are
not going to be lost to burst errors (although that will happen),
you'll be losing fragments due to them being dropped in congestion.
We're designing only for Net, and the nature of packet loss is
overwhelmingly 'all or nothing'.  This is why Vorbis packets don't
waste bandwidth on error correction.

> This is just my first implementation, more experimentation is needed...
> For instance it is also possible to send the codebook packets on a
> separate multicast group, so clients don't have to get all the extra
> data when they know the codebook.

'know the codebook'?  There's no way to tell if you know a codebook
without downloading it... at least not within the strict Vorbis spec.
That doesn't mean it would be a bad idea to implement a 'behind the
scenes' codebook id/caching mechanism.

Monty