[vorbis] Vorbis over RTP

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 20 13:15:59 PST 2000

> Is there anyone else that is working on RTP and vorbis? The payload
> format need to be a bit more complex than just putting Ogg packets
> inside RTP since a client can join a multicast stream at any time and
> need to get the first three packets to initialize the decoder (the info,
> comment and codebook packets). I currently resend these three packets
> continously, adding about 5 kbit/s to the bandwidth. (Can be reduced,
> but then the client have to wait longer for all packets, now it is less
> than 1 second.) The codebook and info packets can also change when a new
> file is transmitted.

In our work here, we assumed that a new client would 'connect' to a
multicast stream by first requesting the headers out of band on a TCP
connection (as the headers absolutely cannot be lost anyway).  It's
also possible for the headers to be much larger than they are right
now, although in our encoder strategy we'll always be keeping size to
a minimum.

Still, adding 5kbps isn't a bad number... unless you only have 28.8 to
start with...

Monty