[vorbis] Lowpass filter option required

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Nov 14 22:50:55 PST 2000

At 05:39 PM 11/15/00 +1300, you wrote:
>I mentioned many months back that I intend to switch to Ogg/Vorbis from
>MP3/LAME once the final version is out but I need to have an adjustable
>lowpass filter option similar to LAME's.  If this isn't done yet, could you
>please add it to your list for OggEnc.  Specifically I need to cut all
>frequencies above 17khz.

I suppose this would be useful for some people - but it's not exactly high
on our list of priorities. I suggest that you pipe your audio through an
external program (sox can presumably do this), then through oggenc.

In the future, similar functionality might go in (much faster if someone
decides to write some filter code for oggenc...), but for the immediate
future, I don't think it's likely to be added (it doesn't belong in
libvorbis itself, as far as I can see, and I don't really have time to add
it to oggenc myself)

It's also possible that LAME's vorbis code will use the LAME filter code
before passing data to libvorbis, if you specify appropriate options - the
lame code needs some minor updates for current libvorbis, but those should
be very simple.

Michael