[vorbis] Patent situation of Vorbis?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon May 15 15:28:30 PDT 2000

> Just a question about the state of Vorbis, if I build an application using
> Ogg is there a chance anyone sue me to death due to some stupid patent
> violation. Is the method used in the Vorbis compression, decompression and
> streams free of any patent violations?

We believe that we are free of any patent encumberance and are currently doing
full-blown legal patent reviews to make sure of it.  Vorbis has been designed
to avoid patents, we just need to verify that we've succeeded.

Even in the event Vorbis turns out to infringe a patent (unlikely), we'd
immediately alter the code to avoid the patent.

Monty