[vorbis] Winamp plugin compile problems and fix/docs

Frank T. Lofaro Jr. ftlofaro at earthlink.net
Mon May 22 19:45:01 PDT 2000

The winamp plugin would not compile. I am using the Cygnus environment
(gcc, and a lot of other GNU utils)
on Windows NT.

_beginthread() is not found. That doesn't look like a function
application code should ever call directly.

I converted it to use CreateThread and it compiles and works.

Change this:

thread_handle = (HANDLE)_beginthread(DecodeThread,0, (void *)(&killDecod

eThread) );

To this:

thread_handle = (HANDLE)CreateThread(NULL,0,DecodeThread,(void *)(&killD

ecodeThread),0,0);

and then it works. No guarantees at all that this is correct and no
warranty if it breaks anything.

I have a working DLL now. Should I give it to anyone? There aren't any
copyright issues due to third-party code
getting linked in, are there?

BTW this is what I had to do. The following documentation is far from
perfect, but hopefully helpful.

Put vorbis stuff in c:\vorbis
Put the winamp input sdk in there too.
Install Cygnus environment (from sourceware.cygnus.com).
Run bash.
mount -b c:\vorbis /vorbis (yes, there really is a mount command.)
./configure as usual
compile vorbis.c in winamp directory with gcc -c
link the dll with gcc --shared vorbis.o pathtolibvorbis.a
pathtovorbisfile.a
put the dll in the winamp plugins directory as in_vorbis.dll

It seems to work. A song I encoded with the example_encoder (actually I
used a script I listed in a previous message
to call the encoder) plays fine. Weird rate (151 Kbps). Title is "Song
encoded with example_encoder.c" or something
of that nature. Other than that it's ok.

Now if I could only find the freeamp and xmms plugins. Even if they
aren't done, please open source them now.
Vorbis and the winamp plugin aren't technically done, but that hasn't
stopped them from working for me. :)