[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Problems running example encoder/decoder

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu May 11 00:43:41 PDT 2000

> Same problem.  My command:
>
>   cat ~/linus.wav | ./encoder_example | ./decoder_example >foo

The linus.wav you sent was some odd non-PCM wav.  No util I pointed at it could
read it.  Xaudio claimed it might be an MPEG-2 layer 1 file, but played it as
noise.

However, treating it as random noise binary data, I ran the above command
line, exactly as you typed it, successfully.

Could you perhaps be attempting this under Windows?  I wonder if a windows
porter forgot to set stdin/stdout to binary mode (by default they'll be text
mode and the translation will destroy the bitstream).

Monty