[vorbis] Artist and title info

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Jun 29 21:19:34 PDT 2000

>I've encoded a few tracks using the Linux ogglame, and they seem to have
>turned out fine. I listened with xmms and they sound very good. My only
>question is about the listing in the xmms internal playlist. All the
>Vorbis tracks show up as, "Untitled track (encoded by Xiphophorus
>libVorbis..."

That's the default that it displays when there isn't any other information
in the file. If you have good suggestions about other defaults, I could
change this.

The xmms and winamp plugins (possibly others too - I haven't looked)
generate that string from title and artist information, if present (it's
not currently configurable, that'll be added one day). So, you need to use
an encoder that will generate these comment 'tags'. Vorbize (in vorbis cvs)
will do this. So will OggEnc (my encoder. Buggy. Will release a working
version in a couple of days).

>Is that particular to the xmms plugin, or do tracks get listed that way on
>the other players, too? Any way I can get the right info in there? Feel
>free to point me to documentation, if it exists.

The format of the comments is documented in a file which you can find in
vorbis/docs.

Michael