[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

Erik Moeller moeller at scireview.de
Tue Jun 27 17:39:51 PDT 2000

Hi,

I've already sent this to feedback at vorbis.com, but I got no response
and this might be more correctly placed here anyway, so here is a
revised vesrion.

I have one thing to criticize, which is the file extension *.OGG.
It's ambigous (the Netrek meaning) and using it for both video and
audio seems confusing. Plus, there are a lot of OGG files floating
around that are generated by the current beta versions of the
encoder. These could be confused with the files generated by the
final version. Changing the extension in the final release would
easily fix this problem. (Of course you can have version information
within the file, but usually this information cannot be accessed
before a download.)

Searching for OGG on AltaVista produces Hawaii photo pages, family
names, private homepages, university names .. but no music. I think a
good extension should be more unique. Granted, should OGG become so
popular that everything else with OGG in it is in the minority this
is no longer a big problem. Granted, also, with search for file
extensions specifically, you won't have many OGG results. Still, I
feel that while in early development, it would be useful to make a
change to the name of the extension.

Without much further ado, here are some suggestions for alternative
extensions:

Without numbers:
        VOX - for Vorbis (V) Oggs (OX) & Latin Vox = Voice
    MOX - for movies
These are hardly unique in the search engine respect, but sound good
and are different for movies and audio. According to www.wotsit.org,
they are not taken.

With numbers:
        V0X - note that is a zero between the V and the X
          this would be increased with each new version of the
          specs - 1513 hits on AltaVista
    M0X - same here - 173 hits
    - -  -
        XS1 - for sound
    XV1 - for video
    - - -
        OV1 - for Ogg Vorbis, Type 1 .. type 2 for video etc.

That's all I can think of right now, but maybe you can brainstorm for
more.

Best regards,
Erik Moeller

--
Scientific Reviewer, Freelancer, Humanist -- Berlin/Germany
Phone: +49-30-45491008 - Web: <http://www.humanist.de/erik>