[vorbis] State of Vorbis

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jun 20 05:40:56 PDT 2000

So, beta launch happens today.  Of course things are behind schedule, don't be
silly.  That means mostly that not all the features we wanted to have ready at
noon today are here quite yet.  Specifically High bitrate encoding is still a
few days off.  "Aw shucks".

The beta is at http://www.vorbis.com/

Also, the preecho work I did in the past two days dramatically improved
preecho... at the cost of non-short-block quality.  Oops. It's not a
show-stopper (and it's not dramatic), but it does mean there's a little
instability in the high end again.  I'll be correcting that as soon as possible
of course :-)  So the Beta launch is mostly for the benefit of getting the
industry's attention.  Some of the really good quality improvement work I've
done recently won't be on the site until end of week most likely.

Everything else is solid.  Have fun folks and I will be seeing you again on
Thursday when I get back from the mp3 summit.

Monty