[vorbis] MP3 to OGG translation?

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 17 10:19:57 PDT 2000

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 01:21:19AM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> That would depend on what you mean by 'viable', I suppose. It's easy to do,
> technically (in fact, there's a program to do it in CVS, if you have mpg123
> as well). However, the resulting vorbis file will be: probably bigger than
> the mp3 file, and DEFINATELY of lower quality than that mp3 file.

My converter shell script puts mpg123's output into a temporary file in /tmp.
Make sure that there is enough room in /tmp for the largest file in your
collection, uncompressed. Otherwise, change the script to use a pipe. Actually,
if you are going to be converting large quantities of mp3s, mp3tovorbis will
ask you the comment fields for all of the files, which will get annoying. Write
your own little one-line shell command to call the two programs directly,
giving Vorbize no comment. There will soon be a comment tool available to
change the comments after encoding.

Kenneth