[vorbis] OpenCodex.com

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jun 13 14:47:24 PDT 2000

> This is semi-offtopic, but I thought I would point it out.
> Opencodex.com is now sponsoring the creation of an open-source DivX (the
> codec, not the hardware device) port for the Apple's Quicktime playing
> software...  There will be a large prize for the first person/group to
> submit a working port.  Since it will be open source, I imagine it will
> be ported to Linux/BSD/whatever as well.

Oo, not off topic at all; we're quite concerned with video as well as audio,
but dealing with limited resources and thus audio first.  I've not actually
looked at divx yet; what is the legal status of the technology itself?  We have
open source Mp3 encoders, and look where that's gotten us...

(I assume you'd not mention it unless this front was promising.  Do you have a
quick summary to offer?)

Monty