[vorbis] Yet another vorbis vs. mp3 comparison

Jonathan Hseu vomjom at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 8 03:22:54 PDT 2000

One thing I must note before I begin is that, I probably just am not that well
skilled at listening, but I can hear no difference between vorbis, mp3, and wav at the bitrates I encoded them at.

lame 3.83 (beta) was used to encode the mp3s and mpg123 was used to decode.
The current (Jun 8 00) encoder/decoder examples were used for vorbis.
mp3s were encoded at 128 kbps, and vorbis is unknown because the XMMS plugin
didn't work for me (crashed my comp ;-).

Track 9:
wav size: 45530060
song length: 4:18

mp3 size: 4130273
vorbis size: 4401173

Track 10:
wav size: 55088588
song length: 5:12

mp3 size: 4997120
vorbis size: 5548526

Observations: I won't claim that the quality between the two are the same,
since I can't tell the difference.  At this bitrate, the vorbis file size
averages 10 percent higher than mp3.  One interesting thing is that when I
benchmarked decoding, mpg123 (probably fastest decoder for linux) averaged
6x faster than vorbis.  Encoding also was slower by a smaller magnitude (didn't
measure, i _think_ 3x slower), but since lame is also the fastest (without
assembly optimizations) encoder for linux, it seems natural. I'd assume the
encoding time would be similar for bladeenc and encoder_example.

Just some prerelease observations,
Vomjom