[vorbis] Streaming Considerations.

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Tue Jun 20 00:46:48 PDT 2000

Adam Scriven wrote :

>I'm more thinking about Real Audio streams. The provided software does not
>allow saving. Yes, it's possible to sniff the sound card port, and do it
>that way, but the RIAA doesn't seem to care about the, what 10% of people
>who know how to do that.
>If it became easy, if you could download MicroSoft SoundCard Sniffer, I
>could see it being a problem, but since you can't, unless I've made an
>incorrect fundamental assumption, I would say that that's good enough.

Virtual Audio Cable - www.ntonyx.com/vac.html
TotalRecorder - www.totalrecorder.com
/proc/asound/dev/pcm00loopback on Linux/ALSA

Anyway this is a concern for the player application and not
for the codec or the format ( ok , could add tons of encryption
and other crap to the format, but then nobody would use it,
I know I won't ).

Player apps are not exactly the focus of Monty or XIPH,Co.
They are done by external entities , like Winamp, XMMS etc...

David Balazic