[vorbis] Streaming Considerations.

Adam Scriven scriven at lore.com
Mon Jun 19 13:09:30 PDT 2000

Hey, I'm not sure if this should be in -dev or not, so I'll post it here first.
If that's wrong, LMK and I'll post it there.

I have a friend who's running an online radio station, well, group of
stations, actually.
They're stuck in the .ra format, which I personally think sucks rocks.  MP3
has a lot of flack surrounding it these days, as well as the problems that
the RIAA doesn't like, such as being able to save a stream and stuff like that.

Will a vorbis stream be able to be saved?  Is it possible to somehow lable
it private, such that it won't be able to be saved?

Morality of the RIAA aside (I hate them personally, and think they should
all die slow, painful deaths), this will be a key point, I think.  If you
can hear the music legally, without being able to save the stream (at least
not easily), then I think vorbis will have another venue to get ahead
in.  RA encoders cost a mint, and you also need the servers, and the
licenses per user, all of which add up to thousands and thousands of
dollars.  If Vorbis can do better, for cheaper, and have the stamp of the
RIAA, then I think it would be a "good thing".

Now, if they were to be "unsavable" streams, and yet another piece of
software ignores that, that's all well and good too, as long as the server
ends meets the RIAA requirements, that's all I care about.

Ideas?
Adam