[vorbis] Geez! There is no 128 kbps max limit!

Thomas Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Mon Jun 19 11:57:23 PDT 2000

Monty wrote:

> > > Why is ogg going to be limited to 128kbit maximum bitrate?
>
> > This is a good question.
>
> Argh, I'll say it one more time:  The myth is false.  Ogg is *not* limited to
> 128kbit streams.  Please read the site and quit quoting the uninformed (who
> generally become informed but not before confusing more people).
>
> >From here on out, *anyone* who asks me 'why the 128 limit?' is going to get an
> inbox full of .ogg at 256 and 320 kbps!
>
> Monty
> (who has not had his morning coffee)
>
> --- >8 ----

Sorry, I was mis-informed by the FAQ file (and I didn't catch the PER CHANNEL)  :

from : http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/faq.html

What is Vorbis?

      Ogg Vorbis is a fully Open, non-proprietary, patent-and-royalty-free general purpose compressed audio format for high quality
      (44.1-48.0kHz, 16+ bit, polyphonic) audio and music at fixed and variable bitrates from 16 to 128 kbps/channel. This places Vorbis in
      the same class as audio representations including MPEG-1 audio layer 3, MPEG-4 audio (AAC and TwinVQ), and PAC.

My apologies! Come to DC (or to IETF 48) and I'll treat you to a Starbucks of your choice...

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks