[vorbis] xml stream formats

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jun 18 01:51:11 PDT 2000

>We also talked about streaming issues a bit. Jack explained that icecast
>is going to (does?) insert the three pages of the vorbis header when a new
>client connects in the middle of a song. This is necessary to set up the
>decoder, but we get the comment page more-or-less for free. Something
>similar would have to be done with the timecoded xml streams, since
>well-formed xml has a header, and there will probably be a small amount of
>metadata associated with each stream: language, who translated it,

Ouch. Reading this made me remember something else that I hadn't thought of
in this context previously - it is NOT possible to stream well-formed XML,
in general. By limiting yourself in certain ways, you can get away with
just sending the start of the 'file' (as you've suggested here), then
streaming - but then you have some subset of XML, rather than XML.

Maybe we have to go back and think about this - is XML really what we need?
In fact, if we have seperate streams for most stuff, XML really isn't the
most suitable solution, since it's intrinsically tree-structured. If we
have seperate streams, isn't each one going to be basically just a sequence
of (whatever)? A lyrics stream might have a series of lines, each keyed to
a time, for example.

Am I missing something? Is there a way around this?

Michael