[vorbis] Why the 128kbit max?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Jun 17 05:08:48 PDT 2000

> Ok, thanks, but as far as development is concerned, is there much work to do
> on sound quality or is it about as good as it will ever get?  Just don't
> want to rip all my CDs and in a couple of months have the developers make
> substantial improvements to quality.

Quality will be improving continuously over time; for a couple months we'll be
concentrating on tools, utilities, etc, but I'll still be improving the
psychoacoustic engine.  That work will never stop.

However, the high bitrate modes in the beta should be utterly flawless; we're
internally referring to this as 'audiophile release'.  So the issue that
you're really concerned with is 'will the bitrate of ultra-quality be dropping
over time' (yes)... but the ultra modes will be there.

Monty