[vorbis] Alpha

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Jul 31 23:27:17 PDT 2000

>> If anyone else wants to make an 'official' command line tool, more power
>> you.  I am however going to insist on portability out of the starting gate.
>
>Combine OggEnc and Ogg123? That would work nicely IMHO.

In theory, yes. In reality, the result of 'combining' these would be close
to a complete rewrite, I think. I full-on command line tool needs a much
more generic structure (oggenc has this to some extent, but it's definately
geared towards reading some arbitrary format and then encoding it as
vorbis). There are probably other things too that would make combining them
rather hard.

Still, this may be a good idea (rewriting, taking bits of code from both).
I'll take a look at it soon, see if I seems worth it.

>> I have to admit I use Vorbize and actually rather like it (simple, gets
the
>> job done), but it can't be an official encoder until it's more portable.
>> Ditto of OggEnc although Mike seems to think it's closer (I haven't
looked at
>> the code yet).
>>
>> So until then, the 'submitted tool deathmatch' continues ;-)
>
>OggEnc is indeed much closer; I think what he has is indeed clean platform
>clean. But now it's going to be front-ends ;)

OggEnc is closer - but it's not completely portable, yet (none of the
non-x86 boxes I have access to have fast cpus, making testing somewhat time
consuming).

The actual code should be fine on any unix, but there are build issues/etc.
Also, it would be nice to have it more portable than merely unix (I think
the only real problem is the timing code, which could be abstracted out, or
just ignored under other platforms). (All of the above refers to my current
version of oggenc, which I haven't uploaded anywhere. I intend to finish
that tonight, along with a some fixes (a rewrite, almost) of the libao wav
writer (which was completely broken on non-x86, and somewhat broken even
there)).

Michael