[vorbis] Freeamp output plug-in

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Tue Jul 25 07:13:23 PDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 robert at moon.eorbit.net wrote:

> If you are on Linux, you can download the source code to 2.1 beta 5 and
> if you have vorbis installed, it will properly build the vorbis plugin
> and everything should be happy.

hmmm.  Well I decided to try that, and am beginning to regret it.  I
managed to download freeamp 2.1beta5 from the Australian mirror site, and
downloaded the nightly CVS tarball from xiph.org (the 21st July one, though
it might have been the 22nd July one by the time I managed to get the jolly
thing).  Anyway, I compiled all that I could get to compile.  Then I went
over to freeamp and did the configure stuff.  It didn't find
/usr/local/lib/vorbis*.a, so I put in sim-links in /usr/lib.  Solved that
one.  It purred away with make for some considerable time, then complained
that it couldn't find vorbis/vorbisfile.h.  After consulting with some
friends who actually write some of this sort of stuff, I opted to put a
simlink to /usr/src/vorbis/include/vorbis in /usr/include.  Now I'm once
again stuck.  Here is the latest batch of errors:

In file included from lmc/vorbis/src/vorbislmc.cpp:47:
lmc/vorbis/include/vorbislmc.h:65: conflicting return type specified for virtual function `class vector<char *,allocator<char *> > * VorbisLMC::GetExtensions()'
lmc/include/lmc.h:63:   overriding definition as `class vector<const char *,allocator<const char *> > * LogicalMediaConverter::GetExtensions()'
lmc/vorbis/include/vorbislmc.h: In method `enum Error VorbisLMC::SetEQData(float *)':
lmc/vorbis/include/vorbislmc.h:67: warning: control reaches end of non-void function `VorbisLMC::SetEQData(float *)'
lmc/vorbis/include/vorbislmc.h: In method `enum Error VorbisLMC::SetEQData(bool)':
lmc/vorbis/include/vorbislmc.h:68: warning: control reaches end of non-void function `VorbisLMC::SetEQData(bool)'
lmc/vorbis/src/vorbislmc.cpp: In method `enum Error VorbisLMC::InitDecoder()':
lmc/vorbis/src/vorbislmc.cpp:161: assignment to `int (*)(void *, long long int, int)' from `int (*)(void *, long int, int)'
make[1]: *** [lmc/vorbis/src/vorbislmc.o] Error 1
make: *** [plugins-cc] Error 2

OK, a C programmer I am not, but this looks like code which is unstable
(i.e. incomplete or unchecked).  A consequence of downloading CVS, I
guess.  So, keeping in mind that I am not a C programmer, my options are as
follows:

1.  Annoy one of my C-literate friends into helping me fix whatever is
wrong.

2.  Download a more recent CVS tarball in the hopes that whatever is wrong
has been fixed.

3.  Give up.

All suggestions are welcome.

Geoff.