[vorbis] VBR encoding in ogglame? (BOUNCE vorbis@xiph.org: Non-member submission from [Jesse Hammons <jessehammons) (fwd)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jul 11 03:38:31 PDT 2000

------- Forwarded Message
From: Jesse Hammons <jessehammons at yahoo.com>
Subject: VBR encoding in ogglame?
To: vorbis at xiph.org
Cc: vorbis-dev at xiph.org

Hello,

I ran a little test where I encoded an audio file at a bunch of
different data rates.  The results are here:
http://www.bigteam.org/~jhammons/free_audio/organic/organic.html

What I've noticed is that the data rate is independent of the --abr
parameter to ogglame.  The encoded datarate seems to be entirely a
function of the desired output frequency (e.g. 44.1kHz) and whether the
encoding is mono or stereo.

My question is how hard would it be to modify the source code so I
could get some in-between values.  For example what would I need to do
to see what a 44.1Khz mono track sounds like at 50kbits/sec (instead of
68).

I've had a look at the source code, but can't really see where a
datarate control would fit in.  As far as I can tell from a recent CVS
snapshot, none of the files are looking at the bitrate_upper and
bitrate_lower variables in a meaningful way.

Is anyone else looking at this?

Thanks,
- -Jesse

p.s. please CC me on reply, I'm not yet on the list

------- End of Forwarded Message