[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

Alain Bertrand alain.bertrand at crpgl.lu
Thu Jul 6 02:29:37 PDT 2000

It if far worse than that. You are able to register a .foo.ogg
extension, and it works. But I noticed that in a lot of places (the
tool to add extension, a in the registry at least) the extension
is changed to fooogg, without any ".". .foo.ogg works as long as
there
is no registered .ogg, because at this moment .foo.ogg is no longer
recognized (only .ogg is seen). Strangely .fooogg works also, but as
.foo.ogg ...

So .foo.ogg functions (including .fooogg) but the first app to
register
.ogg will have have priority over .foo.ogg.

All the tests have been done on NT4, I don't know if there is
another behaviour on Win9X or 2K. Win2k offers a possibility to
associate more that one application to an extension, on primary which
is used on double-click, but a right click offers a menu 'open with'
with
all applications already used to open this file and "other" for a
selection in the list of all registered apps.

I think the launcher is the best idea, and offers by far the most
possibilities. That way it would also be possible to determine the
player
based on a combination of streams, e.g. only video player A, but
video
and audio player B, and so on. That way one is able to start the
player
which handles best the available streams. If nobody other is going to
write I guess I will have to do it.

Alain

Projet BB: http://www.spider.lu/homepages/bb/